Thursday, March 25, 2021

PUZZLE 42: THE LARGE MAN (themeless)


Solving Music: Vaudeville Revival - Meanwhile at Saddle Ranch!


It's that time again: SUNDAY SIZE THEMELESS TIME, baby.

Some entries in my themeless seed list are there because I have a sick cluing angle for them (these are usually left out of my publicly available seed list unless I think the entry itself is cool enough to warrant being a seed in its own right). 63-Across in this puzzle is one of those entries. Last time I did one of these, I tried throwing some seeds in a pinwheel shape, but this time I went for a modified version of a center stack with a 21 running down the middle and used entries from my seed list wherever the opportunity presented itself. 21x themelesses are cool like that; there's so much more space to play with in terms of grid structure than in a standard 15x, where you usually end up with some form of stacks in the corners, maybe the center, and a few other nice long entries thrown in.

I threw some image clues in this time to spice things up for applet solvers (I also set a quick 65-Down puzzle just so I could use it for its own image clue; if those are your thing, there's a solving link in that clue).

Enjoy the puzzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment